- The surface
must be clean, free of dust, grease, wax, peeling paint, mold, mildew
and wallpaper paste. If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent
or a TSP substitute. Rinse well and allow to dry.
- Peeling or
Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface.
Sanding or removal of paint containing lead is hazardous.†
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ MAX primer may be used on clean, dry,
aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at
least 30 days before applying KILZ MAX primer.
- Fire Restoration: It is critical to clean smoke damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming.
- Eye protection is recommended.
- Apply as supplied using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Do not thin for stainblocking applications. A small amount of water may be added for other spray applications.
- Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50°-90°F (10°- 32°C).
- Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a
small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second
coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If
bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Sealing odors:
For persistent odors, apply a second coat of primer before topcoating.
If odor continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Tinting: Not
recommended for stainblocking applications. KILZ MAX primer may be
tinted with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon for non-
stainblocking projects. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is
DRY TIME at 77°F (25°C), 50% RH
CLEAN UP & DISPOSAL
- To Touch: 30 Minutes
- To Recoat / Topcoat: 1 Hour
- Application at lower temperatures, high humidity or poor ventilation will affect dry time.
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water.
- If spilled,
contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of
contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with
all current federal, state and local regulations.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain.
- Please consider donating any unused product.
- For recycling or disposal information, contact your local household refuse collection service.
This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
you scrape, sand, or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD
IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN
DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID
EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure.
Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start,
find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the
National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. Avoid contact with eyes. May cause eye,
nose and throat irritation. Avoid breathing of dust, vapors or spray
mist. Open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air
entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering,
headache, or dizziness, or if air monitoring demonstrates vapor / mist
levels are above applicable limits, wear an appropriate, properly fitted
respirator (NIOSH / MSHA TC 23C or equivalent) during and after
application. Follow respirator manufacturer’s direction for respirator
use. Close container after each use. Wash thoroughly after handling and
before smoking and eating.
If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention
immediately. If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area
to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical
attention immediately. In case of eye contact, flush eyes immediately
with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention.
KEEP FROM FREEZING
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY