- Surfaces to be
coated must be clean, dry and free of oil, grease, mildew, wax, dust,
flaky rust, mill scale, loose paint, chalk and other foreign matter that
could interfere with adhesion. Remove loose rust, peeling paint and
mill scale with a scraper, wire brush or sandpaper.
- Clean bare metal with VM&P Naphtha.
- Scuff sand rusted, glossy or hard surfaces.†
- Protect adjacent surfaces from overspray.
Dry Time & Coverage
- Stir this product to achieve a uniform mixture.
- Apply with nylon brush, roller or spray.
- A one-coat
application of HAMMERITE RUST CAP PRIMER with a HAMMERITE RUST CAP
ENAMEL FINISH topcoat protects and preserves the surface.
- Two coats provide greater durability with other topcoat finishes.
- Thinning is not
recommended, but if necessary to ease brushing or rolling, one pint of
clean water can be added per gallon. Do not overthin.
- Do not mix this
product with other paints or thinners. Do not apply when air and surface
temperatures are below 50°F or above 90°F
- Dries to touch in 1-2 hours.
- Allow to dry 24 hours before applying finish coat.
- 350-400 square feet per gallon, depending on porosity or surface texture of substrate.
- Estimate job accurately to ensure proper coverage and protection while minimizing excess paint (disposal).
Clean Up & Disposal
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water.
- If spilled,
contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of
contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with
all current federal, state and local regulations.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain.
- Please consider donating any unused product.
- For recycling or disposal information, contact your local household refuse collection service.
you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD
IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN
DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID
EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure.
Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start,
find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the
National Lead Information Hotline at 1- 800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
IRRITANT! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED.
MAY CAUSE EYE, NOSE AND THROAT IRRITATION. AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN AND
EYES AND AVOID BREATHING VAPORS AND SPRAY MIST. WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND
PROTECTIVE CLOTHING. USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. To avoid
breathing vapors and spray mist, open windows and doors or use other
means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you
experience eye watering, headaches, or dizziness, increase fresh air. If
properly used, a respirator (NIOSH approved for organic vapor with P
series particulate pre-filter) may offer additional protection; obtain
professional advice before using. A dust mask does not provide
protection against vapors. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash
thoroughly after handling. Close container after each use.
FIRST AID: If
you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh
air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical assistance
immediately. In case of eye contact, flush eyes immediately with plenty
of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention; for skin,
wash thoroughly with soap and water.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN – DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY.
KEEP FROM FREEZING.