Surface Preparation & Application:
1. Prepare surface by recessing nails into panels 1/32".
2. Fill the space between panels with DAP® Wallboard Joint Compound.
3. Center wallboard joint tape over joint and press into fresh compound with a 5" application knife.
4. Remove excess and cover embedded tape with a thin layer of compound. Apply compound to all
nailheads and spread smooth with long strokes parallel to joint.
5. After compound dries, wet sand application with a damp sponge.
6. Apply a second coat of joint compound with a 10" knife along joints and over nailheads,
smoothing out 2" beyond first coat. Wet sand with a damp sponge again after the compound has
7. Apply a third coat, smoothing out 2" beyond second coat. Let dry and wet sand application
8. To finish inside corners, apply joint compound to both sides of corner, fold tape along center
crease, and press into position. Embed tape with a 5" knife and apply a thin coat of compound
over tape. After compound has dried, wet sand with a damp sponge and apply a second coat of
compound over one side only. Let dry and then cover the other side.
9. To finish outside corners, fasten metal corner bead and apply first coat of compound smoothing
onto panel surface 4" to 6". Allow compound to dry and wet sand application. Apply 2 more
coats in same manner.
10. For a textured finish, apply ample amount of DAP® Wallboard Joint Compound with a
paintbrush or roller. Texture surface immediately using paint rollers, a sponge, stiff bristled
brush or even crumpled paper, depending on the desired effect. Allow the compound to dry
thoroughly before decorating.
For Best Results:
• Allow approximately 24 hours between applications before decorating
• Allow compound to dry before sanding.
• Wiping while wet may leave unwanted smears. Wet sand uneven areas with a damp sponge after
joint compound has dried.
Wet sanding is recommended to prevent generating air borne dust.